THE PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ACT
CUSTOMER PRIVACY NOTICE
At BlueSage Couriers, we care about Your Privacy. This policy document explains how we obtain, use, and disclose your personal information, in accordance with the requirements of the Protection of Personal Information Act (“POPIA”).
We are committed to protecting your privacy and to ensure that your personal information is collected and used properly, lawfully, and transparently. The Protection of Personal Information Act (“POPIA”) creates the following rights for You as a South African citizen and / or data subject:
- Right to be notified about collection and processing of personal information;
- Right to access personal information;
- Right to request correction of personal information;
- Right to request deletion of personal information;
- Right to object to the processing of personal information;
- Right not to have personal information processed for the purpose of direct marketing by means of unsolicited electronic communications;
- Right to not be subject to a decision which results in legal circumstances based solely on the basis of the automated processing;
- Right to complain to the Information Regulator;
- Right to effect judicial remedy.
Definition of Personal Information
According to the Act “personal information” means information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person. Further to the POPI Act (“POPIA”), we also include the following items as personal information:
- All addresses including residential, postal and email addresses;
- Contact number for deliveries, including cellular phones and landlines;
The Information We Collect
We collect and process your personal information mainly to contact you for the purposes of fulfilling your delivery requests, understanding your requirements and needs (contact us or request for quotes), and delivering services accordingly. For this purpose, we will collect contact details and shipping details, including your name, address, and telephone details.
We collect information directly from you where you provide us with your personal details. Where possible, we will inform you what information you are required to provide to us and what information is optional.
Website usage information may be collected using “cookies” which allows us to collect standard internet visitor usage information.
While you visit our site, we track:
- Location, IP address and browser type: we will use this for purposes like estimating taxes and shipping;
- Shipping address: we will ask you to enter this so we can, for instance, estimate shipping before you place an order, and send you the order!
- IP address;
- Date and time of the query;
- Time zone difference to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT);
- Content of the request (specific page);
- Access status / HTTP status code;
- Data volume transferred in each instance;
- Website from which the request originates (browser type);
- User’s operating system and user interface;
- Browser software language and version.
When you purchase our services, we will ask you to provide information including your name, billing address, shipping address, email address and phone number. We use this information for purposes, such as, to:
- Send you information about your account and order;
- Respond to your requests;
- Process payments;
- Comply with any legal obligations we have, such as calculating taxes’
- Improve our offerings;
- Send you marketing messages, if you choose to receive them;
We generally store information about you for as long as we need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it, and we are not legally required to continue to keep it.
We will also store comments or reviews if you choose to leave them.
When visitors or you submit a form, we capture the IP Address for spam protection. We also capture the email address and might capture other personal data included in the Form fields.
We DO NOT ask for credit card or payment details, nor do we store these details.
How we use Your Information
We will use your personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected and agreed with you. In addition, where necessary, your information may be retained for new order, repeat order, legal or research purposes.
- To gather contact information;
- To confirm and verify your identity or to verify that you are an authorized user for security purposes;
- To conduct market or customer satisfaction research, whereby You have to Opt-In for surveys, reviews, feedback or testimonials, or for statistical analysis;
- For audit and record keeping purposes;
- In connection with legal proceedings.
Disclosure of Information
We may disclose your personal information to our service providers. We have agreements in place to ensure that they comply with the privacy requirements as required by the Protection of Personal Information Act.
We may also disclose your information:
- Where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of law or industry codes;
- Where we believe it is necessary to protect our rights.
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service. We collect information about you during the checkout process on our store.
We are legally obliged to provide adequate protection for the personal information we hold and to stop unauthorized access and use of personal information. We will, on an on-going basis, continue to review our security controls and related processes to ensure that your personal information remains secure.
Our security policies and procedures cover:
- Physical security;
- Computer and network security;
- Access to personal information;
- Secure communications;
- Security in contracting out activities or functions;
- Retention and disposal of information;
- Acceptable usage of personal information;
- Governance and regulatory issues;
- Monitoring access and usage of private information;
- Investigating and reacting to security incidents.
When we contract with third parties, we impose appropriate security, privacy, and confidentiality obligations on them to ensure that personal information that we remain responsible for, is kept secure.
We will ensure that anyone to whom we pass your personal information agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as we are obliged to.
Your Rights: Access to Information
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Your Rights: Correction of Your Information
You have the right to ask us to update, correct or delete your personal information.
Service and Technology Specific Notes
When visitors leave comments on the site, we collect the data shown in the comments form, and the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
If you leave a comment on our site, you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
Who on our team has access
Members of our team have access to the information you provide us.
- Order information like what was purchased, when it was purchased and where it should be sent, and
- Customer information like your name, email address, and billing and shipping information.
No one in our organization have access to any other information, including payment or financial. We do not capture, nor do we store this information.
We do not process online payments.
Third Parties and Technology Partners
- Defender – IP addresses, content, and user information of all site visitors;
- Forminator – Forms can be used to collect and store all types of information;
- Hustle – Form tool can be used to customize information collected;
- Smush Pro – Image files may contain EXIF data that could identify a user. By default, with Smush Pro enabled, EXIF data is not saved locally, but a setting in the plugin does allow for it to be enabled;
The following services and plugins are used on our website, and may add Cookies:
- Snapshot Pro;
The following services and plugins require integration with other 3rd party services:
- Forminator Pro: Google reCAPTCHA, HubSpot, Slack, Campaign Monitor, ActiveCampaign, Google Sheets, Trello, MailChimp, and AWeber;
- Beehive: Google Analytics;
- Hummingbird: Cloudflare and Stackpath;
- Hustle: reCAPTCHA, Zapier, various email services including MailChimp, AWeber, Constant Contact, GetResponse, Sendy, Mad Mimi, Infusionsoft, Campaign Monitor, ConvertKit, social platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, Vkontakte, 500px, Houzz, Instagram, Twitch, YouTube, Telegram, WhatsApp, and Email;
- WPMU DEV Dashboard: Mixpanel/Matomo (analytics), LiveChatInc (in dashboard support);
- Defender Pro: Google’s blacklist monitoring;
- The Hub Client: HubSpot.
Google Specific Notes
The controller has integrated the component Google Analytics (with anonymisation function) on this website. Google Analytics is a web analytics service. Web analysis is the gathering, collection and analysis of data about the behavior of visitors to websites. Among other things, a web analysis service collects data on which website a data subject has come to a website from (so-called referrers), which subpages of the website were accessed or how often and for which period of time a subpage was viewed. A web analysis is mainly used to optimize a website and for the cost-benefit analysis of Internet advertising.
The operator of the Google Analytics component is Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy, Mountain View, CA 94043-1351, USA.
As IP anonymization is activated on our website, your IP address will be shortened by Google within Member States of the European Union or other states in agreement with the European Economic Area. Only in exceptional cases, the full IP address is sent to and shortened by a Google server in the USA. On behalf of the operator of the website, Google will use this information to evaluate your use of the website, compile reports on website activity and to provide further services related to website and internet use to us. The IP address transferred through your browser to Google Analytics will not be combined with other data held by Google.
In addition, this website uses the Analytics feature UserID to track interaction data. This User ID will be additionally anonymized and encrypted and will not be linked with other data.
You can prevent the storage of cookies by a corresponding setting of your browser software; however, please note that if you do this, you may not be able to use all the features of this website to the fullest extent possible.
In addition, you may prevent the collection of the data generated by the cookie and related to your use of the website (including your IP address) by Google as well as the processing of this data by Google by downloading and installing the browser plug-in available under the following link.
In addition, a cookie already set by Google Analytics can be deleted at any time via the Internet browser or other software programs.
Further information and Google‘s applicable privacy regulations can be found here and details about the marketing platforms here. The following link provides a further explanation of Google Analytics.
Our website also uses Google Analytics performance reports relating to demographics and interests and reports on Google Display Network impressions. You can disable Google Analytics for display advertising and customize the ads on the Google Display Network by visiting the ad settings at this link.
Google Tag Manager
This website uses Google Tag Manager. Through this service so-called website tags can be managed centrally via a user interface. Google Tag Manager only implements tags. No cookies are used and no personal information is collected.
Facebook Specific Notes
Facebook Tracking Pixel
With your consent, we will use Facebook’s “tracking pixel”. This pixel can be used to track user behavior after they have been redirected to our website by clicking on a Facebook and / or Instagram ad. This allows us to record the effectiveness of Facebook and Instagram advertisements for statistical and market research purposes and, if necessary, to take optimization measures. The tracking of users who have landed on our website after clicking on one of our Facebook and Instagram ads can remain active up to 180 days.
The data collected in this way is anonymous for us, i.e. we do not see the personal data of individual users. However, this data is stored and processed by Facebook, about which we will inform you to the best of our knowledge.
Facebook may connect this data to the Facebook account and also use it for its own advertising purposes, according to its data usage policy.
If you want to disable cookie storage for Facebook, you can do so via your browser settings.
Facebook communication tools
We also use Facebook communication tools, especially the “Custom Audiences” and “Website Custom Audiences” products. Basically, a non-reversible and non-personal checksum (hash value) is generated from your usage data, which can be transmitted to Facebook for analysis and marketing purposes.
If you want to refuse the usage of Facebook’s “Website Custom Audiences”, you can do so by following this link.
In addition, we use Customer Match Lists within the framework of our Facebook advertising activities, for instance for “Lookalike Audiences” and remarketing. To use Customer Match, lists of encrypted user data are uploaded to Facebook. After the upload, the system checks which data is already known and places these users in a list. After creating the customer match lists, the encrypted customer data is automatically deleted. Facebook does not gather new addresses in this way (encryption).